Friday, April 15, 2011

Breakfast and banana milk

Featuring banana no. 5, 6, and 7.

Someone from the Paris Vegan Meetup Group told me about her breakfast with millet and buckwheat, and I thought it was interesting. I wanted to eat more millet because it's so terribly healthy, but I didn't succeed so far. Eating it for breakfast could solve this problem.


I am using roasted buckwheat (kasha) right now, but next time I'll try the unroasted version. It does have a very intense flavor... but I got quickly used to it, and now I like it. (Edit: I am using unroasted buckwheat b now, and I prefer it. It does not have that intense taste of the roasted version, and therefore the grains can be mixed with not-so-intense tasting fruits like apples also.)

Ingredients:
  • 1/2 cup millet
  • 1/2 cup buckwheat 
  • (apple cider) vinegar
  • fruit etc. to add (here banana and kiwi, dates and cranberries, unshelled hemp seeds or ground flax seeds)
  • some sweetener if you feel like it (I use maple syrup)

What to do:
  1. Soak the millet and the buckwheat (if using unroasted) for 24 hours in 1 cup of water each, with 1 tablespoons vinegar. (Soaking seems to be good for everything that could possibly sprout, read more at Bonzai Aphrodite.)
  2. Wash and put in a pot with a little less water than before. Simmer over low heat until the water has been soaked up and the grains are soft (about 10 minutes). If using roasted buckwheat, add to the
  3. Let cool and store in a container in the fridge. This amount is enough for one week of breakfasts for me.
  4. Every morning, take 3-4 tablespoons of the grains and warm in a pot with a little water.
  5. Add to a bowl with your desired fruit and stuff.

Oh, and banana no. 6 & 7 went into a late night banana milk.


I should probably eat more plain bananas as a snack, but to be honest, I don't like them "pure" when they are overripe. Plus, I forgot to take some to work. I am good at that...

No comments:

Post a Comment